Welcome back to the 2013
WJGA season. It seems like just yesterday when we were at Riverbend
last year for our first Sub District and Sahalee for Districts. For
some of you this will be your first year, and some of you like me it
will be your last year signing up. For me it seems like yesterday
when 6 years ago Spencer played in his first tournament (a WJGA sub
district) and asked his thousand questions about how he was going to
do, if we were going to get there on time, and on and on and
on……..awesome, and some things never change.
This year you will notice that we have a new co-director (Brady
McMullin) helping out. We’re very excited to have Brady joining us
and rumor has it Scott Babcock will be coming out to some of our
events to help out as a Rules Official……awesome.
Once again, I would imagine that D2 will fill up very quickly, and
we will likely have a wait list as well, awesome (sort of).
Couple things about our registration process, the roster and our
expected wait list. This happens every year so please read this.
• Your registration is not complete until the office
receives your form and check, once this happens your name will
appear on the roster.
• Brady and I do not have anything do with the
registration process or managing of the roster.
• At some point we will probably close registration for
D2, at which time there will likely be people that are on the wait
list for sub districts.
• If you get into an event (off the wait list) you will
be notified by the Tournament Director.
• If you do not get off the wait list, your entry fees
will be refunded at the end of the WJGA season
Couple things about tee times, and the DREADED withdrawl or just
plain not showing up with no notice at all.
• You are not reminded in any way of an upcoming event
(no calls or emails).
• Tee Times are posted approximately 48 hours before
the event on the website
• If you are on the roster signed up for the event or
off the wait list and in the event you will get a tee time
• If you miss an event without providing 48 hours
notice from the start (first tee time of the event, not your tee
time) of the event, you will automatically be withdrawn from the
next scheduled WJGA event (this includes State, Junior World
Qualifying, Districts, the next subdistrict, next years event)
• WHY THIS IS AN ISSUE EVERY YEAR I HAVE NO IDEA
• If you do need to withdraw please try and provide as
much notice at possible, and 49 hours is not what I’m referring to.
• Tee Times---We don’t take requests, and we don’t take
pairing requests. The only thing we can do is tell you when our
event will start, and if the 9 holers will be going off late or
early and off which nine. We understand you might have a swim meet,
soccer game, baseball practice, that starts or ends at a certain
time……..awesome, but we can’t accommodate.
Volunteers and Walking Scorers: You are awesome, and the more help
we can get the better.
• If you have a child that is 8-13 years of age you are
required to be a walking scorer in a minimum of half the events
entered. If you only enter one event you will be a walking scorer.
• You do not walk with your child’s group.
• You can also sign up during registration to be a
volunteer (does not mean you have to be a walker)
• You can also volunteer if your child is 14 or older,
and if you do you are AWESOME.
• Many times we will use walking scorers for other
volunteer assignments (this counts towards your walking scorer
• Volunteer and Walking Scorer Assignments are posted
with the Tee Times.
• THIS IS
REALLY REALLY IMPORTANT---If you don’t provide the same notice (48
hours) that you can’t be a walking scorer, your child will not
participate in their next event. THIS IS NOT ON THE WEB SITE, but is
a District 2 rule.
Golf Course Information
I was out at Carnation recently and it is not under water. I’m
guessing you will still want to bring bug I mean BUG spray.
More information as required will be provided prior to the events
but here is what we have so far.
Willows: (the shorter of the two courses) AM Start, 9 holers
will be late and tee off #1
Carnation: AM Start, 9 holers will be early and tee off #10
• Carnation has switched nines. #10 is now along side
the entrance road.
Mt Si: PM Start, 9 holers will be very late and tee off #1
Jackson: AM Start, 9 holers will be late and tee off #1
• Jackson should be ready for us and they have also
switched the nines.
• More information to come, but most importantly there
are no Practice Roads being provided.
• You can of course make your own arrangements with a
• Please do not call the Pro Shop for a practice round.
Our website has most if not all of the above information and more.
There is the code of conduct, dress policy, no advice or caddying,
refund policy, how to qualify for Districts. It’s all there.
Again, Brady and I along with our Rules officials can’t wait to see
everybody. If you thought the greens were fast at Sahalee wait till
you get on the wrong side of the hole at Broadmoor.
I know what you are thinking……nothing about pace of
play?……awesome….sorry to disappointment
• The USGA is going to do a study on pace of play. It’s
not that hard.
• The PGA Tour is complaining about it. It’s not that
• A recent college tournament had close to a 7 hour
round. It’s not that hard to fix.
• At a recent tournament I was caddying in I asked them
to penalize our group.
• At Districts/Sahalee last year we averaged under 4:10
and didn’t have a round over 4:20….AWESOME
• I think we did close to this at our State
We will have a pace of play policy at every event, and we will
enforce it (it’s not that hard). My guess is we won’t penalize a
player and or group this year, because we know how to do this.
• Keep your chin up and walk like an athlete
• BE READY WHEN IT’S YOUR TURN
• PLAY READY GOLF, especially and always when your
group is falling behind.
• Keep up with the group in front of you
• If the first person in your group gets to the next
tee box and can hit, you are falling behind.
• If you are the first in your group to hit into a
green and don’t have to wait, you are falling behind.
• Walk like and athlete, play ready golf, be ready when
it’s your turn and CATCH UP (it’s not that hard)
Looking forward to seeing you at Willows.
Brady and Larry